On Tuesday, August 4, 2020, residents in Beirut experienced a terrorizing event – a large fire at the Port of Beirut escalated to a devastating explosion. Rescue workers in Lebanon have been digging through the rubble looking for survivors in Beirut that killed at least 137 people and injured about 5,000 others.
Volunteers have mobilized
Since the explosion, thousands of volunteers – mainly young people – have gathered in Beirut to help clean up the city and to restore it to its former glory. Civil Societies operating in the front-lines such as Red Cross has also mobilized their volunteers in search and rescue operations. Skilled volunteers have started donating and contributing their time as specialists, mental health professionals, health professionals, and in various other capacities to uplift those who are affected. The pictures reeling in from Lebanon paint a hopeful picture of resiliency, unity, and volunteer mobility.
You can help even if you’re not in Beirut, Lebanon.
A lot of people from around the world want to help and we hope that the resources mentioned below will be helpful. Local activists encourage donors to donate to internationally-recognized civil society organizations. Here are some ways you can help:
- Raise awareness – follow pages like locatevictimsbeirut and other local activist groups that share important information and share it on your social media accounts to raise awareness.
Donate to the following organizations!*
- Rotaract Clubs of Lebanon – “Beirut Strong” fundraiser. – The Rotaract Clubs of Lebanon has mobilized to support local activists and nonprofit organizations through their main fundraiser. Please donate to help.
- Lebanese Red Cross – in the front lines – The Red Cross is one of the main disaster response civil societies in Lebanon and is in need of a lot of financial support.
- Offrejoie – Rebuilding Beirut – Offrejoie will be cleaning and rehabilitating houses with the help of the volunteers and skilled workers. One street at a time, one house at a time.
- Impact Lebanon online fundraiser – Impact Lebanon is distributing funds to local organizations to assist in disaster relief efforts.
- Chance Association – CHANCE (Children Against Cancer) is a Lebanese association whose mission is to help Lebanese children with cancer or blood disorders receive the best chance for cure and acceptance.
- Bassma online donations – Bassma provides access to Food, Water, Clothing, Education, Employment, HealthCare, Housing, Safe and Secure Environment, and Decent Living Standards.
As local volunteers mobilize, we call upon our global viewers, supporters, and volunteers to direct their monetary support to Beirut, Lebanon.
*IVolunteer International has not extensively reviewed the payment method, structure, monetary allocation, and/or impact with relating to any of the following organizations. They have been listed here through a general evaluation of the public domain, recommendations from local activists, and international news agencies.