Thank you for your interest to join IVolunteer International. At IVolunteer International we value communication and collaboration as our two major driving forces. Since we operate worldwide and our volunteers are from around the world, we utilize futuristic communication platforms to keep in touch to instill the impact we make in the world. We are excited to know that you’ve chosen our organization for the next step of your life, let it be a job, internship, or a staff volunteer opportunity.
Below are some of the opportunities that are currently available to you. If you meet the requirements and if you’re passionate, apply and let us know. Good luck!
Application Deadline: December 1, 2019
Spring Cohort start date: January 15, 2019
The position is a flexible position, which means that the tasks allocated to you must be completed on your own time on or before the deadline and you can work from anywhere, virtually. This is an unpaid internship without any financial compensation. The position is open to college students in the United States. You will be assigned a supervisor at the beginning of the internship. Please coordinate with us and check with your university if internship credits will be approved. We are open to working with your schedule and allocating flexible tasks.
Objectives of Our Blog
- Establishing an online platform for youth leaders and writers to share their stories and the stories of others.
- Being a platform for change-making, and a source for inspiration to our readers.
- Understand the vision and mission of IVolunteer International and the Writer’s Council.
- Have strong communication skills (reliability, response time) and have access to communication software such as Slack, Google, and reliable access to the internet to use other software such as email, Google Drive, Microsoft Word, etc.
- Have basic to intermediate knowledge of Google Drive, Google Documents, WordPress and Microsoft Office.
- Be able to author and publish articles on WordPress.
- Have an excellent command of the English language in writing and speaking.
- A proven willingness and ability to meet deadlines.
- Have basic soft skills and leadership qualities to work together in a team.
- Work under the leadership of the Editor-in-Chief to achieve the objectives of the Writers’ Council and the blog.
- Be able to cover events in the local community and interview important figureheads as requested.
- Produce a minimum of six articles per month.
- Attend bi-weekly and/or monthly virtual meetings (for the team).
All stories authored must be of your own work. If needed, the content including information and images must be appropriately cited. No previously copyrighted material is allowed to be in your work. All authors must have a serious understanding of ethics in journalism and plagiarism. As a writer, you can write about any topic you’re interested in as well. In the past, some writers have written articles to raise awareness about mental health, equal pay, internationally celebrated days, etc. You do not have to “stick” to a selected few avenues. We need you to be creative.
Commitment & Contract
A commitment of a minimum of 15 hours a week is expected for a duration of 5 months. Please let us know if there are additional requirements needed by your university to confirm this as a credit-approving internship. We will work with you to add those requirements.
Recognition & Benefits
- Training on WordPress utilization and feedback on each article for improvement.
- A letter of recommendation at the end of the internship period.
- A personal portfolio of your published articles maintained under a custom web address (eg: www.ivint.org/author/<name>)
- The opportunity to network with high-level representatives from organizations worldwide.
- Experience in operating a start-up nonprofit organization and public service.
- An opportunity to practice your journalism and writing/reporting skills.
- The benefit of working from home (virtually), with a very flexible schedule.
*Note: Please note that this opportunity is for college students in the United States only.
Guest Bloggers will contribute to IVolunteer International’s blog with op-ed pieces to be featured to an international audience of readers that belongs to a diverse demographic. IVolunteer International’s blog has been the central location for a variety of discussion forums and idea-sharing. All op-ed pieces will need to fall into at least one of the following categories:
- Capacity Development,
- Sustainable Development Goals,
- Women & Youth,
- Human Rights & Security
- Research & Opinion
- Volunteer Stories,
- Conferences & Commemorations.
Op-Ed Submission Requirements
Submit a 300-word personal biography and an article on a topic of your choice that falls into one of the 7-categories above (1000 words or less) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Guest Blogger Submission.
If your submission is confirmed, it will be published. Then, you will be invited to submit future op-ed pieces to IVolunteer International, which will be published on our blog after review. All articles must be the author’s own work. If needed, the content including information and images must be appropriately cited. All candidates must have a serious understanding of ethics in journalism and plagiarism. Cover photos for your articles may be selected and confirmed by IVolunteer International.
Deadline: Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Recognition & Benefits
- An opportunity to publish op-ed pieces to an international nonprofit organization’s blog which attracts more than 3,000 monthly readers from around the world.
- Constructive feedback by the Editor-in-Chief
- Consistent, passionate, and high-performing guest bloggers will be considered for a permanent position to work with IVolunteer International in the Writers’ Council.
- Networking opportunities
By submitting your articles as a Guest Blogger, you agree that you hold responsibility for the content that is included in the article.
Note: Do not use the “Apply” button below to submit your article/application. Please refer to “submission requirements” above for submission info.