As a component of the IVolunteer International’s #BirthdayDeed campaign and due to a lot of demand and requests we received, IVolunteer International is organizing a one-time hair donation campaign to anyone willing and able, living in Sri Lanka. It is important to note that IVolunteer International is not an organization specialized in accepting hair pieces and making wigs for the people who are in need. This is only a one-time event.
When, Where and How?
The event will take place on Saturday, October 14, 2017, from 10:00 am – 5:00 pm (Sri Lankan time). The venue is the Good Market at Racecourse, Sri Lanka. For more updated information, make sure to click here and RSVP to the Facebook event. The donated hair pieces will be carefully packaged and shipped to Locks of Love .
Anyone can donate as long as the guidelines listed below are followed. We encourage all of our donors to go to a salon they are already familiar with to ensure their comfort when donating.
Guidelines for Acceptable Donations
- Hair that is colored or permed is acceptable.
- Hair cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or braid.
- Hair that has been bleached (usually this refers to highlighted hair) is not usable. If unsure, ask your stylist.
- Hair that is swept off of the floor is not usable because it is not bundled in a ponytail or braid.
- Hair that is shaved off and not in a ponytail or braid is not usable. If shaving your head, first divide hair into multiple ponytails to cut off.
- Dreadlocks, wigs, falls, hair extensions or synthetic hair are not accepted
- Layered hair is acceptable if the longest layer is 10 inches.
- Layered hair may be divided into multiple ponytails.
- Curly hair may be pulled straight to measure the minimum 10 inches.
- 10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length needed for a hairpiece.
Please note that if your hairpieces don’t meet the above guidelines, it will not be accepted. When you bring your hairpieces to the event, make sure it is in a ponytail or braid and is secured properly. It will be appreciated if you could put it in a dry envelope or an air-tight Ziploc bag. If you don’t, it’s fine. Our team members at the event will help you pack it.
That’s not it! When you donate your hair to us, we will give you a certificate, courtesy from Locks of Love to keep in memory for your selfless donation.
For more information, get in touch with us through the event page.