About the Organization
Heroes on Horseback enriches our community and the lives of individuals with special needs by providing equine assisted activities and therapy in an effective, compassionate environment. Here are some milestones of the organization so far;
- We have served our community and empowered lives for 18 years.
- Our program has been based out of 8 different locations within the Lowcountry since we launched in 2000.
- Our teaching staff has grown to include 6 certified instructors and 2 instructors in training.
- Over 250 volunteers have served our program since its establishment.
- Our volunteers have clocked over 1,000 community service hours.
- An average of 12 schools throughout Beaufort and Jasper Counties use our services every year.
- Over 300 participants have been part of our program.
- There are currently 3 veterans participating in our Veterans Program.
- Currently, we oversee a herd of 8 horses for use in our programs.
Volunteer At Heroes on Horseback
This Thanksgiving, you can volunteer with Heroes on Horseback. There are three special ways you can get involved. Below are the three volunteer categories and the tasks relating to them.
- In the Class Volunteer. Tasks include;
- Arena Assistants
- Sidewalks & Horse Leaders
- Barn Managers
- Class Coordinators
- In the Barn Volunteer. Tasks include;
- Help care for our horses
- Help care for our equipment
- Help train our horses
- In the Office Volunteer. Tasks include;
- Help with clerical tasks, data entry, mailings, etc.
- Help to plan and execute fundraising & public relations events
Application & More Information
To apply for the above-mentioned volunteer opportunities and for more information, visit the Heroes on Horseback official volunteer portal.
Please note that individuals below 14 years of age cannot volunteer. For more of their rules and policy, visit their official volunteer handbook.